Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"Starting Points" for Discussion on Identity

 Having read over some of everyone's reflections on the Holland reading and their annotations, it seems like a lot of people are interested in the idea of "figured worlds" in our society and the role they play in determining (or self-determining) identity.  I think that some people, like me, are wrestling with the idea of identity as demonstrated in/by literature and writing, versus personal identity, versus cultural identity or identity by association/categories.  For me, reading over the four types of identities (like by discourse, nature, institution, and affiliation) has helped.  I think that overall, Holland just introduces a vast amount of material.  This makes her book a good introduction to the study of identity and rhetoric, but also can pose more questions than answers.  Her case stories and examples helped me to understand a little better.













No comments:

Post a Comment